Tuesday, April 9, 2013

BBQ Chicken Calzone

BBQ Chicken Calzone

Let me start by saying that I have yet to be successful at making homemade pizza dough. I have tried several times and I can't seem to ever get it right. We have therefore settled to eating homemade pizza whose crust consists of a flour tortilla (more on that to come soon.)

Walking around Trader Joe's last weekend, I ran into their ready to use pizza dough in their salad/cheese/fruit section and I though this would make for a perfect Sunday night dinner.

I apologize for the only picture we took. We were starving and the house smelled wonderful!




Bbq Chicken Calzone 


Ingredients

Pizza dough of your choice (I used Trader Joe's whole wheat)
1-2 cups shredded chicken
Bbq sauce to taste (I used Stubbs)
2 cups Mozzarella cheese (more or les)

Optional
Browned onions
Cilantro


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet or pizza stone.

1. Follow the instructions on how to thaw or prepare the pizza dough. When it is ready, divide the pizza dough in 4 balls or more if you have more dough. Roll each ball until it is 1/2 inch thick.

2. Combine some bbq sauce with the chicken. If you are adding browned onions add them to the chicken at this point.

3. Add a spoonful of sauce to one half of the dough, then add some chicken (as much as you want), top with some cheese and extra sauce. Throw in some cilantro and fold the calzone in half, making sure you seal the edges tightly. Poke with a fork on top once or twice. Repeat this step for each calzone you are putting together.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the calzone look brown. When ready take out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes or so. Serve with extra sauce!

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment