Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

It has been so cold this weekend here in Cincinnati that I have been eating soup and oatmeal and drinking a lot of tea and coffee. I also have seen the whole second season of Downton Abbey. Which everyone should see!



Anyway, I had a lot of rice leftover in the refrigerator and I did not want it to go to waste. I also had some broccoli that I wanted to use before it went bad. So I looked for recipes that used both ingredients and I came across this "healthy" version of a chicken broccoli rice casserole. I was very hesitant because most this recipes use some kind of canned soup and they always taste the same. But this one recipe was much better than I expected. It would be a perfect weeknight meal. You could leave it ready the night before and throw it in the oven the next day. It's a great recipe. It was easy, cheap, and warm!

P.s. Sorry for the not so great picture, my husband was starving and I couldn't take a decent enough picture of the whole casserole. It tastes much better than it looks ;)




Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Adapted from Live Cook Love

Serves 3
Very easy and fast

Ingredients

2 cups of broccoli cut into small bite-size pieces
2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
2 large chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove mashed
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp flour
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar and mozzarella)
Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder to taste


Directions

Add the rice and the chicken broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower temperature and simmer for 10 minutes . Add the broccoli on top of the rice and cover. This will allow the broccoli to steam. Cook for 10 more minutes and remove from heat.

Add the chicken, garlic, and chicken to a hot skillet. Let chicken cook through on both sides. When chicken is done remove from heat onto a plate. 

In the same pan, add the milk and flour and whisk until combined. Simmer for 5 minutes and add sour cream and half of the shredded cheese. Add aditional garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. When cheese melts, add the chicken, rice, and broccoli to the sauce and stir everything to combine. Pour into a grease casserole pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and more if you want to.

Broil casserole until cheese melts (5-10 min). Serve warm with bread of your choice!

If making the night before, prepare the casserole as directed. When ready to eat, sprinkle cheese and broil until cheese melts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment