Mangos and bananas are two of my favorite fruits. Bananas are a staple food in most homes, available year round, perfect pair of peanut butter, and cheap too. Mangos are sadly only around for a very short time every year, expensive, but oh so yummy! If I had to choose 3 things to eat for the rest of my life, mangos and bananas would definitely be on my list.
I am not a big fan of muffins, but when I came across this recipe I thought they would be a lovely addition to a sunday morning breakfast, specially because I had ripe bananas and some mangos laying around. The muffins were delicious with some homemade strawberry preserve that I got at a strawberry festival, where by the way they had no strawberries for sale! At least, they had really good homemade ice cream with strawberries.
Mango Banana Muffins
Recipe slightly adapted from EatLiveRun
Makes 14-16 muffins
1 big ripe banana, mashed
1 ripe mango
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Pure the mango in a blender.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, salt and coconut flakes.
4. In another bowl, whisk mango pure, mashed banana, oil, and eggs.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until smooth, try to not over mix (the batter will be thick).
6. Scoop batter into muffin tins (either greased or using cupcake paper liners). Sprinkle top of muffins with sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. I set my timer for 20 minutes and they were perfect.
Enjoy with some homemade jam!